Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ma Vie (My Life)

So today my dad asked me to watch an educational video about Guyana. I guess it was a kind of know your heritage thing. But either way it enlightened me to write about it. Every time I tell someone i'm 1/2 Guyanese they say one of two things...Where is that? or Wait, you don't look Indian.


There is so much about Guyana that people don't know. There are a multitude of races in Guyana. There are people of Asian-Indian decent, African decent, American Indian decent, Chinese decent, and European decent. This is why so many people can be from Guyana and still look so different. Anyway, Guyana is located in South America on the Northern coast. It is the only country in South America that calls English its official language. Guyana means land of many waters in Amerindian.



Some of the best landmarks are:

Kaieteur Falls, the largest single drop water fall in the world.
















The Demerara Harbour Bridge; the fourth longest floating bridge in the world. (It used to be first)









And the Botanical Gardens which has housed
Manatees since 1895







Guyana is beautiful and amazing, and its part of my life that I embrace with open arms!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice pics! thanks dad for educatin' us lol. *cough* Just like there are Asian, Caucasion (European), and Spanish Haitians...Caribbean people are REALLY diverse.

LoveHateSensation said...

Thank you my Haitian Fashion Diva, The Caribbean is a beautiful place that people need to open their eyes to the good things and not all the bad things they hear about it.